Thursday, July 16, 2009

2009 Emmy Nod Impressions: Comedy


We're going to try to group these together as logically as possible as we provide our take on the announcements. First up is comedy. If these lists look longer than in years past, they are, since nearly every category has an expanded nominee list.

BEST COMEDY SERIES
Entourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
How I Met Your Mother
The Office
30 Rock
Weeds
Deserving:
HIMYM - This is long overdue, and well deserved. It's no secret that it is the official show of bambat, it's refreshing to finally see such a fantastic show get its due.

30 Rock - Continues to be one of the funniest shows on television. That's what this category is about.

Undeserving:

Entourage - My feelings on this show have been made clear several times. Even if you are going to nominate it, according to everyone who watches it this was its worst year. Makes no sense.

The Office - I'm a fan of this show, and will be until the end, but this season was mediocre at best. Not that I'm surprised it was nominated.

Family Guy - This puzzles me. Everyone thinks FG has gone downhill, and while I don't necessarily agree I'm shocked that it was nominated here.

Snubs:

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - No surprise, since its far too crass for Emmy voters to give it any credit, but it's probably the most laugh-inducing show on television.

Chuck - I was a little shocked to see so little love for this show, I guess I'll just have to be content with the fact that it was renewed.

Pick: HIMYM in a walk, though 30 Rock will probably take it again.

BEST ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
Jemaine Clement, Flight of the Conchords
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory
Tony Shalhoub, Monk
Charlie Sheen, Two and a Half Men
Deserving:
Alec Baldwin - Check out this clip if you don't believe me.
Jim Parsons - Diamond in the rough. Hilarious character on an otherwise mediocre show. He's the real deal.

Undeserving:
Charlie Sheen - This show sucks.

Snubs:
Zachary Levi - I can't believe Chuck wasn't shown more love, but I'm not really surprised.
David Duchovony - Was it the sex addiction?

Pick: Jim Parsons - When I made my picks I had him in the far more stacked supporting category. He's an easy pick for me here.
BEST ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, The New Adventures of Old Christine
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program
Deserving:
Tina Fey - Show's great, she's hilarious. It's Tina Fey, come on.
Mary-Louise Parker - I mostly appreciate her for her dramatic work. She's also hot.

Undeserving:

Sarah Silverman - Not funny and this show was stupid.

Snubs:
Honestly can't think of another actress I would even nominate

Pick: Tina Fey - She'll win easily, 30 Rock is an Emmy machine.
SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Jon Cryer, Two and a Half Men
Kevin Dillon, Entourage
Neil Patrick Harris, How I Met Your Mother
Jack McBrayer, 30 Rock
Tracy Morgan, 30 Rock
Rainn Wilson, The Office
Deserving:
NPH - The clear favorite, and not just because he's hosting. Friend of the blog NPH should have won this already, but he will this year.
Tracy Morgan - Consistently outrageous and hilarious, can't really quibble with any of the 30 Rock nominations.

Undeserving:

Kevin Dillon - This show sucks. He sucks.
Jon Cryer - This show also sucks.

Snubs:

Jason Segal - I might have picked him over most of these guys, but if HIMYM was only getting one nod, than NPH is the choice.
Anyone from Scrubs - You suck, Emmys.

Pick: NPH - For reasons too obvious to even state.
SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Kristin Chenoweth, Pushing Daisies
Jane Krakowski, 30 Rock
Elizabeth Perkins, Weeds
Amy Poehler, Saturday Night Live
Kristin Wiig, Saturday Night Live
Vanessa Williams, Ugly Betty
Deserving:
Kristin Chenoweth - Mike loves Pushing Daisies. Even I acknowledge Chenoweth is a great talent.
Jane Krakowski - I've been over this.

Undeserving: Can't really knock anyone, this is a weak category

Snubs:

Caitlin Olsen - SOMEONE from this show should be nominated for something
Cobie Smulders - She's severely underrated, more than just a pretty face.

Pick: Kristin Chenoweth

No comments:

Post a Comment