Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Summer of Couch Part IV: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia

Note: This is part four in our ongoing series The Summer of Couch


Show: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Network: FX
Still on Air: Yes
Seasons: Four (Fifth premiers in the fall)
Episodes I got through: All of them
Rating: 5/5

What I Loved: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is one of those shows that people have been telling me for years that I have to see. I've caught episodes here or there, but it never really got me hooked. The Summer of Couch provided me with an excellent opportunity to prove myself wrong, and did I ever. I've gone through the entire four seasons over the last week or so, only stopping to tend to the basic necessities of life. To call the comedy brilliant wouldn't be doing it justice, the show my be a bit slapstick and over the top at times, but its one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. And that's really all a comedy should be. There's no real progression in the story, no real character development, and yet somehow it doesn't matter: Because you can't stop laughing the entire time. It might not be the best comedy on TV, but it is without a doubt the most outrageously funny. The episodes are also so self-contained with the outrageous schemes of the gang that they're basically endlessly re-watchable. And I plan to re-watch them. Endlessly.

What I Hated:
Really, nothing. The characters of Dee and Mac aren't quite as funny as the other three, but it really only seems that way because the others are so unbelievably brilliant. The show can be a bit too low-brow at times, but at this point we're really just splitting hairs.

The Verdict: Plainly, I loved it. It seems so far in the Summer of Couch that I'm either loving these shows or hating them. Hopefully soon I will have a completely ambivalent reaction to one, but its not today. It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia is unbelievably fantastic. Its recently been renewed for several more seasons at 13 episodes each (really the perfect number, since it never feels like they're reaching to come up with a plot) so the show will be around to enjoy for a while longer. Thanks to all those who recommended this show, it was well worth it.

Clip:


No comments:

Post a Comment